Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

We normally do not switch off our old Panasonic tv at

We normally do not switch off our old Panasonic tv at the set, but a guest did so by mistake today. When we switch the tv on now, we get an orange screen and after a few seconds the tv switches itself off. What causes this and how can we rectify it?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Switch Off means main power switch on TV to cut the AC power?
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we switched off the mains power to the tv.

Model no. is Panasonic TX-28DT2

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for info.- Does TV screen show any graphics/ snow etc while it is orange or before switch off?- Any idea how old is TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tv is about 15 years old.

We get an orange snowy screen and then a picture plus sound (not the right colours), which goes off after a few seconds.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.This kind of problem occurs due to two reasons, failing capacitors on power supply, defection section in TV and weak picture tube performance (could be unstable G2 volts or weak picture tube). If you had normal picture on TV before cutting it on mains power then picture tube would be OK and I would go to check and replace bad/weak/failing capacitors on main board of TV, this kind of work requires good soldering work with proper tools and expertise and should be done by handy person and local TV repair shop may charge around 100 to 120 Pounds repair cost.If it was my TV then I would prefer to invest that amount on new TV as 32 inch LCD would be available from 150 to 200 Pounds instead of spending on old obsolete TV repair. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. Regards,Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are saying the problem is down to the age of the TV?

We think it is too much of a coincidence that this has happened when the tv has been switched off, which it normally isn't, we always have it on standby. Could it not be anything else?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Aging factor is a reality to every thing, parts utilized inside TV depreciate over the passage of time, I mentioned the capacitors in power supply section of TV that is electronic part that tends to worn out bit quickly rather than other things such as resistor, coil, transformer, ICs etc. I wish there was a push button reset option to fix the issue, it is definitely hardware related problem and most likely failing capacitors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. Regards,Shahid.