Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and something has gone wrong with

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and something has gone wrong with the phone. I found a Ghost app which I thought was spyware and reset the phone to factory settings. Subsequently the phone has been freezing, turning itself on and off. I am also unable to call my brother from my mobile. I can watsapp him, text him but cannot call him. If I take the sim card out of the handset and put it in another handset I can call my brother perfectly. I have been the place I bought the phone from and to the service provider who cannot help me. I am at wits end and don't know what to do. Please can you help me.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, what exactly happens when you try to make a phone call?
And can you be called?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It rings once and cuts off.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Lesley
I want you again to do a factory Reset, but in the way I am instructing below as I want to ensure the firmware has not become corrupted.
Make sure the S5 is completly off.
Now press and hold the Volume up button, the Home button, and the Power button together until you see the Android on screen.
Now use Volume down to highlight the wipe data/factory reset option and press the Power button to select it.
Use Volume down again to highlight Yes – delete all user data and press Power to select it.
Wait until you see the reboot system now option and then use the Power button to select it.
When the S5 restarts it should be completely wiped and ready to set up again.
Set it up and tell me if you can then call please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Since the 22nd of July I have done 9 factory resets. I am sure there is someone tampering with the phone but I cannot prove it. I am not tech savvy so every app on the phone looks fine to me. Also I need to delete all accounts attached to the phone as they will just back up and download - that I do know.

So do I need to do the 10th factory reset?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you factory reset the phone Lesley it is not possible for someone to then have access to your phone.
To me it looks to be a fault with the SIM port.
But I need to check, did you factory reset the phone using the method I gave?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I reset the phone and the number works now. How do I prevent this happening again. This is really stressing me out. I don't know what apps to look for and I have a feeling whoever is doing this is using Webwatch or other spyware.....

Its not the sim as the sim was used in a different phone and the number was dialled ok.

Its the handset.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It was not an app or spyware Lesley, it was the firmware that became corrupted.
I was not saying it could be the SIM but the SIM PORT in the phone, where the sim fits into, but as its now fixed it is 100% just a firware corruption.
It happens, I deal with this exact problem daily, it just means the firmware suffered a bug and needed to be reloaded.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I used your method.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thats the method to be used and why it was fixed as it does a proper reset.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much.

I don't want a monthly contract with Just Answer, could you advise if I will be billed monthly.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you did not sign up for the monthly subscription, then you will not be billed monthly Lesley, it is only a one time cost.