Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I get vertical lines looks like a "Vertical Blind" this occurs

I get vertical lines looks like a "Vertical Blind" this occurs intermittently I thought it could be the signal? I have just installed a new aerial including a signal booster but the problem still occurs.
Lionel Sebastian
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

model numberG-KDL40W45000UG LCD TV CONNECTED VIA

YOU VIEW BOX

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please press Menu or Home button on TV remote while having vertical lines on screen, do the menu graphics appear over or under the lines?Also, how old it the TV and how long it have had the problem?It seems LCD panel related issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

SEEMS TO BE OVER THE VERTICAL LINES AR E IN THE BACKGROUND

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, how old it the TV and how long it have had the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Purchased in 2009 I bought it from the previous owner so don't knoe how long it has had this problem

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, there are two possible things that can cause such issue in this TV, either t-con board is defective/ ribbon cables contacts are dirty that are coming from LCD panel into t-con board OR LCD panel is failing internally.Unplug ribbon cables from t-con board to clean their contacts, replug them and check if it helps to resolve the problem, if problem still persist then need to swap t-con board (must be same version/identical t-con board) to see if it fix the issue or LCD panel is defective and panel replacement wouldn't be possible due to high cost if it is still available with Sony Parts in area and at this point you would be better off with a new TV.I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. Regards,Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To access t con board do I have to take the back off the TV ?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Yes, back cover of TV will be removed then check top or bottom center of rear of screen for t-con board under metal shield, remove that shield to access to connectors where ribbon cables are plugged coming from lCD panel, please take care while handling those ribbon cables as they are very fragile and any damage to cables will be irrevocable and entire screen will be replaced.