Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Player DMP-BD55 gave a sharp crack

My Panasonic Blu-ray Disc Player DMP-BD55 gave a sharp crack while playing a disc last night and stopped working. I cannot eject the disc or get the player to operate at all. Is this a design problem or what?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The cause for this is a capacitor has blown within the player. This is what caused the noise. Its not a design issue as it does not occur often with this unit, but this problem can occur in all electronic devices. The capacitor either suffered a knock, some moisture or had a fault in its material at the time of manufacture.
It is best not to try to turn it on anymore.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the player to have the board the capacitor is on, replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.