Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

We are looking to buy a smart TV first time and are

We are looking to buy a smart TV for the first time and are mesmerised by the choice. Our room will take up to a 42 inch screen and we like to watch sport and nature programmes as well as some general programmes. Our budget will stretch to £1000 but we are lost having been told that there are two main types of screens that produce different levels of colour intensity and black; curved or flat; we've been told that screens are either Samsung or LG and that a 40inch Samsung model flat screen is the best that currently they produce. Oled; HD, super HD - how does one make a choice?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Right now Samsung and Sony are the best on the market though LG is close to Sony so any of the three would be a good choice.

Super/Ultra HD is normally 4K and should be curved meaning you can see it as if it was straight on no matter where you sit.
4k means instead of 1080p the TV is 2160p giving you twice the reolution for video that supports it.

If it says the year of the TV you would want a newer one for example this would be a good choice: Click Here
Older models usually use different technologies for example a 3D tv before 2008 would use checkboard 3d where new ones would not.
The same applies to smart TV's except for the smart capabilities operating system instead of 3D.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy - thanks for initial response but I was looking for more guidance for example about the type of screen that might be best given our viewing prefrrences and whether one particular manufacturer's model was better because of the screen used. We've heard about something called a refresh rate.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You would want a higher refresh rate the hifgher the better, 120Hz is usually good so anything above that would be fine.
It is the rate the image is updated a lower rate is worse.

I actually mentioned the difference between flat and curved in my answer above as well.
If you meant LCD VS LED that is more of a personal preference, if you look at a store display at each to see which you prefer.

An LED TV which is my preference will have more vivid colors but an LCD will have better blacks.
The one I sent you above is sort of a combination called IPS which is a LCD that is designed to solve the color limitation they had before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Freddy - thanks now I think I'm getting the 'picture' (excuse the pun!!) I now have a much better idea of what we need to be looking for and the sort of info we need to get from a sales assistant. I think we might well visit a specialist shop like Richer Sounds rather than the department stores. Again many thanks.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.