Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have an AR-80 organ. The liquid crystal display has lost

I have an AR-80 organ. The liquid crystal display has lost contrast, and is not readable from straight ahead. It is readable from a point more than 30 degrees to one side or other.
What chance?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,First, verify that the voltage reaching the LCD is correct.If there is a voltage drop, it can affect the LCD display and contrast, sometimes making it only viewable from an angle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete.

OK! Any idea what the correct voltage is?

Colin

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi ColinI cannot find any schematics for this particular organ so I can't be sure.It the voltage is not printed on the circuit board then you can measure it from a working organ.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Pete, but that really doesn't get me any further forward. I don't have a friend with an identical organ longing for me to take it to pieces to measure a voltage! These organs are a problem if they need attention, but I paid for your expertise, and your expertise did not extend to this problem.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colin,Can you please have a look at the circuit board and let me know if the voltages are printed on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete. The organ is in the basement of a house that is still under construction - not the ideal electronics workshop. Also one has to dismantle a fair amount in order to get at the PCB. I also happen to be 76, which makes me less agile at getting at the numerous screws under the keyboard that have to be removed!

Will touch base when I manage to get into it!

Regards,

Colin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete.

A story of incompetence! The contrast control appears to be a push button that extends only just above the surface of the bezel. But it is in fact a pot. Having discovered that, it works just fine. So I'm the idiot. Enquiry closed!

Before I discovered this, I had already gone inside the machine. No voltages marked, and without tech gen, it would have been a difficult one to crack.

Regards,

Colin

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Colin,
Glad to hear you got it sorted!
Best,
Pete.