Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have connected my Sony HT NT3 soundbar to my Sony KDL

Hi I have connected my Sony HT NT3 soundbar to my Sony KDL 37w5500 TV via the optical cable. The sound works however I cannot get the soundbar showing on my TV screen which should happen when I press the HOME button. My TV does not have an aerial connected and runs through my sky HD box through the HDMI 1 output.
Any ideas how I can get the soundbar appearing on my TV screen ?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is*****'ll be happy to assist you. I need additional info of TV symptoms to troubleshoot the problem. This is not an answer so do not rate it.- Please elaborate, what soundbar you're looking for on TV screen? is it HT-NT3 soundbar control panel or sound level/ display that appears when push volume button on TV or its remote?- Do you get TV sound in connected soundbar?Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the TV sound is coming through the soundbar. My soundbar instructions say when I press HOME on the soundbar remote this pulls up a screen on my TV. It doesn't do this. When I press HOME this flashes up HOME on the soundbars own display, the sound from the Soundbar stops and my TV programme continues. Why doesn't the soundbar screen come up on my TV when I press HOMe on the soundbar remote? I cannot find the soundbar anywhere on my TV. It appears on my iphone as the HT-nT3. Is it just a question of an HDMI cable between the TV and soundbar as well as the optical link as one of the online forums suggested. I do not have a cable to try this.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for details that helped a lot.Please connect a HDMI cable at HDMI Out of soundbar and plug it in HDMI In of TV, select that HDMI input in TV, now connect Sky box HDMI Out into HDMI In of soundbar. This way you will get Sky picture on TV and sound from soundbar and will get Home screen of soundbar on TV when push Home button on soundbar remote to make required settings.Optical Cable connection between TV and soundbar only provide sound signal from TV to soundbar that is why nothing appears on TV when hit Home button on soundbar remote.I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. Regards,Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I am confused. Do I still connect my TV and sky to each other via HDMI? In which case I buy 2 HDMI cables- one for TV into soundbar and another for sky into soundbar? Also does it matter whether I use the hdmi1 or HDMI 2 for the soundbar? Do I need a high speed HDMI cable? My TV is not 4k.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Sky will be connected in soundbar via HDMI cable and soundbar HDMI out will go to HDMI in of TV, no matter if HDMI 1 or 2, need to select correct HDMI input in TV, so you need 2 HDMI cables for this connection to get soundbar HOme screen display on TV screen when push Home button on soundbar remote, high speed HDMI cable would be nice. I hope this clarification will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. To clarify. Do I still need my existing HDMI cable running from TV to sky box. I understand that I need to connect both the TV and sky box to the soundbar.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
No, pull the HDMI cable of Sky box from TV and plug into HDMI In of soundbar, connect another HDMI cable in HDMI Out of soundbar and plug it into HDMI In of TV.There is no need to connect Sky box directly to TV through HDMI cable.Thanks.