Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

There I have a huawei y541-u02 bought from the Philippines. I inserted a couple of UK

Hi there I have a huawei y541-u02 bought from the Philippines. I inserted a couple of UK based sims and it will not connect to the mobile network and only displays Emergency
Calls Only. I tried the hard reset as per your last query based on the same problem but it has not changed the settings of the phone. Can you help please. Thanks
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Where you actually able to perform the hard reset? Or you could not get this to complete?
And what happens when you start the phone without a SIM card?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard I was able to complete the hard reset through upto the phone rebooting.

When there is no sim inserted it request for one but will goes to the normal screen once I skipped the setup screens.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** went to the setup then the reset would have completed.One common cause is that the phone is still locked to the Phillipines carrier it was provided by and needs to be unlocked.Do you recall if it was unlocked (it would have said this) when you purchased it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the phone is unlocked because I inserted 2 different sims from 2 different networks. Just to add some more information when I insert an EE sim from the UK the phone recognises the network but the status is disconected. From my understanding if the phone is locked to a network it should say sim not recognise or something similar.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It can do a few things depending on how its programmed.But there are only 4 causes for this1) Corrupted firmware which is ruled out via the Factory Reset2) Faulty Sim card - I doubt though this is the case as you have tried multiple3) Fault Sim card port - Which will give strange results and can even work at times before it shorts out4) The phone is locked- The reasoning you have given is not enough to convinced me. Adding 2 different simes from different networks does not confirm or deny this, as its going to be locked to the original provider in the Phillipines. And it has not worked with any Sims correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On the basis of the phone being programed for the Philippines only I can agree but being generally locked im not too sure as I have taken mobiles from the UK to the Philippines and has worked with no issues with all the networks. Based on a firmaware or programming issue or something similar what is your suggestion for me to do next.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
UK phones are generally not locked. But again, you cannot base it on this, as its per phone. Some are locked, others are not.You would need to contact the provider that the phone was released with, check the policy for unlocking the phone (eg: Some do it asap, some make you pay off the remaining contract and some just do not do it). And check with them what the options are for the phone. If they can unlock it, then any sim card would then work with the phone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The phone was purchased on its own with no contract or sim inserted. This is from a reputable store too.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if you feel it is unlocked then the only remaining reason is a faulty sim port in the phone.Unfortunately as this is a hardware fault, it will require the phone to be replaced.Its the only cause left for this issue.If it was from a reputable store, then it will still have a warranty so you will need to return the phone and have it replaced.But all other causes for this we have now ruled out then.