Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Have a samsung freesat box, had it a few years now, has been

have a samsung freesat box, had it a few years now, has been working fine, but while the YV was switched off there was a very strong electrical burning smell. The TV is fine and the DVD player is fine and working too. On the Samsung Freesat box there is just a flashing blue light, nothing will work and the TV will not operate via the box.
Is it time for a new box....the TV seems OK!
KB
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, remove the power to the box and wait 10 minutes.
Then plug it in and if it is still flashing blue, unplug it
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yep, done that and it's still flashing

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks It is the internal board that has faulted. It would have been shorted out when you smelled the burning. Usually a capacitor on it that will have blown. I advise please to leave it disconnected from the power.I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to replace it. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OKI I thought as much...a burning smell is never good. Just wanted to make sure before I forked out for another box.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Always best to do Ken, never hurts
If you need anything else, please let me now
And please remember the service rating so I am credited with working with you.