Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

How do I format SD card in new FZ72

Customer Question

How do I format SD card in new FZ72
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, please press Menu button on camera and select Setup (wrench icon) and check down the list of setup, do you see Format option?Please reply back with the result.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no format option on any menu or on any instructions in the users manual - that is why I asked you the question.

When i switch on the camera tells me that the card was formatted by another machine and is unsuitable for recording. So the answer is to be found somewhere else, not om the camera.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Camera does have Format option to format internal memory or SD memory card (if inserted in camera), setup option in menu has long list of different options and Format is one of them that would be located down the list, please recheck.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Since SD memory card was formatted on different machine so its file system would not be recognized by camera that is why it gives error message, formatting the SD card with in camera will help to resolve the issue.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Format option is also mentioned in camera owner's manual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your answer is really no help. You either repeat what I have said or seemingly expect me not to have read and tried the menu and the manual.

1.Each time I switch on the camera says:-"This card was formatted by an external device and is not suitable for recording"

2.The menu you mention says:- Rec format MP4

then AVCHD MP4 best for viewing on PC

and that is the only reference to format on the menu

3.The manual page 73 tells us that we need a well charged battery; always to format cards with this camera; if you cannot format, contact a dealer. Nowhere are there any instructions on how to format.

Now perhaps you can see why I am getting rather frustrated. I thought you would know all these things and save me contacting a dealer or service centre. I think I need my £20 back..........VH

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please set your camera in preview/playback mode like you wish to view saved pictures in camera.Then press Menu button on camera, what appears on screen please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Playback Mode

Normal play

Slide show

Filtering play

Calendar

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Let me post a picture of camera buttons, get back to you in few minutes.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please check attached picture, do you press that button marked in picture with yellow arrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes Just like i have been doing on various camerS FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
This is odd, camera should display menu screen when push Menu button as menu screen would consist of following items..Rec (camera icon)Motion Picture (camera icon)Setup (wrench icon) Playback Mode (screen and play icon)Playback (three frame icon)Please remove battery from camera for couple of minutes to reset, put battery in and again try to get above mentioned menu screen to move forward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. Nothing like that - just the playback menu as I said previously

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'm out of ideas what is causing to not appear the required menu so let me open the question to others to have alook into this and if you wish a refund then contact customer service at***@******.*** as they handle billing.I'm opting out, this will open the question to all others on website, please do not rate my answer(s) and leave it as it is.Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please if your talking to me on a laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes - on a laptop

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Put the SD card in the SD reader on your laptop
Then go to the windows file manager and you see the Card as a drive.
Right click on it and select Format.
Let the format complete and tell me if the camera then reads it and can use it when you put it in.