Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Panasonic DMR-EX99VEB DVD recorder. Unit accidently put into

Customer Question

Panasonic DMR-EX99VEB DVD recorder. Unit accidently put into AV mode. pplease can you tell me how to get TV signal back ?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
You should see the AV button under the power button on the remote.
Press this to switch inputs and repeat until it cycles to the input that your TV signal is being received on.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No effect whatsoever

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you put new batteries into the remote please Stan and then tell me if it responds please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The remote is working okay. The buttons on the remote at top right under the TV heading have never worked. I have never been able to synchronise the TV withe recorder in the past few years.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The only way to put it into AV is via the AV button on the remote Stan.
How do you know the remote is working if it is no responding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Because I can get into menus and scroll up and down etc. etc. turn the unit on and off etc.

This is getting frustrating. I am not a fool and know when something needs new batteries.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Please understand Stan, I never know what type of customer I have and its a process of elimination. Please take this into account and do not interpretate it as me calling you a fool. Only being thorough.
But if you can see the menu of the Player on the TV, then it is not in AV else you would not see the menu for this.
Can you check the cable to the back of the recorder, unplug it and plug it firmly back in and tell me if you see the picture come up please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The display on the front of the machine shows AV1 or AV2 or AV3. And can be changed by pressing the input select button.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, this is what I asked you initially was to cycle through these.
You said the button did not respond.
So it is now responding and cycling through the different inputs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The button I'm referring to is not the one under the power button which you mentioned. It is below the number 9 button.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then the remote was not setup for the TV
But it is not an issue with AV being selected if you cycled through it and still did not get a picture.
I asked you to unplug and replug the cable at the back of the recorder, but you did not yet do this. Can you do this please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done. Still showing AV. The display on the screen says "SCART"

No Signal

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Scart is the second AV, are you connecting via a scart connection? If not, which?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I am using a Scart cable.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
From where are you getting the signal?
Aerial, Set top box (if so which)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Aerial

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, plug this directly into the TV and tell me if you get a signal directly on the TV please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't get a picture on the TV from a direct aerial connection because the integral Freeview unit in the TV stopped working years ago. The TV took it's signal from the DVD recorder. and I still believe if the unit could be got out of the AV mode it would solve the problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Stan, its in the correct AV, else it would have gone to the correct one when you cycled through the inputs.
As its on Scart, then it is set to the correct one.
Go into the menu and do a scan for channels again.
Does it find any channels?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've solved the problem myself. I have retuned the recorder and the TV is now on. I trust you will not be taking any charge from my credit card.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I just told you to retune the recorder.....
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
how is that solving it yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tuned the recorder before I got your message.. It takes several minutes to tune and I couldn't have started it after you sent your message.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
sure Stan
Its ok, if you do not wish to pay me for solving your problem, no issue, you can get a refund here
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
.