Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I bought a new Samsung NX1000 camera from an ebay seller. WHen

I bought a new Samsung NX1000 camera from an ebay seller. WHen I used it the first time it kept coming up when switching on with the message "lens sensor cleaning". Then when trying to take a photo, it started having a pink flashing screen with coloured lines across it when the button was pressed to take the photo. It takes ages to be ready for a photo whilst it goes through the flashing pink screen and swapping from different modes such as programm, smart functions. Some of the photos have a pink hue to them. What's wrong with the camera or is it the lens? It's the first time i have use it and I have had it for 5 weeks.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It looks to be the sensor for the Lens connection
Remove the Lens and clean the lens contacts using a cloth slightly damp, then let it dry.
Then connect the lens and tell me if you still get the error please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What exactly are the lens contacts? I took off the lens and there are good squares amidst the screw lines for the lens. Are the small gold coloured squares the contacts you want me to clean?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes that's correct, they are copper connections and this is what the camera is complaining about.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The seller has suggested I also do this. What do you think?

Dear Customer,
I just read your feedback. Dear customer, you need to clean the sensor but do not use traditional method of cleaning. I suggest you to watch some video on youtube first. It will help you. Try to find self sensor cleaning option in menu button. Under settings. It will self clean your sensor. If it still shows sign of dust than you need to touch the sensor. For that use special cloth or some kind of blower. Hope this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzlpYCt_iV4

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, he is giving a standard response, you can do the instructions I gave and let me know if the error dissapears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have wiped the contacts as you suggested & let them dry & reconnected the lens. It still comes up with the "Sensor cleanor" message as before and then goes to pink screen with lines on it and then to the normal view.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now remove the battery and wait 10 minutes to let it resetThen connect the battery, turn it on and tell me please if you still get the message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Presume I will not be "timed out" on the 10 min wait?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
timed out from what sorry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Timed out form our 15 minute sessions.

I have done what you asked with the battery and there is no change.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ah ok, no there is no time limit on this.If you look at the contacts do they look scratched in anyway?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, not that I can see under a magnifying glass. Until today, the lens has only been off on the day I received the camera and attached it to the body. SInce then I have never removed it.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I want you to do a full reset of the camera.
Go to the setup menu and reset to factory settings and tell me please Jill if you still get the error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have looked through the menu and can't find the "rest to factory settings" option. Might it be under a different heading?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you check page 128 -> 129 of the manual here as this shows where you go for this
http://www.2cameraguys.com/pdf/Samsung-NX1000-camera-manual.pdf
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Managed it.

Seems to have done the trick- thank you very much!

So ... please explain to me what the problem was and why resetting it to factory settings has eliminated the problem?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The firmware had crashed and needed to be reinstalled, which is what we did.
Its like reinstalling windows on a computer.
It will be ok now.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am very pleased the camera seems to be behaving itself now after your suggestions.

I thought the camera might have to be returned to seller and as it was an E-Bay seller, I was not convinced the seller would have been amenable so a big thank you for sorting it out.

Very grateful - thanks!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome and it was my pleasure!Let me know if you need anything else.And please remember the service ratingThank you!Richard