Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a TomTom. In the car, when I start it up, it asks for

I have a TomTom. In the car, when I start it up, it asks for an Agreement to be agreed.
Pressing I Agree, changes the colour of the "I Agree" tab, but it fails to start and be of any use. What should I have done, please?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
You press I Agree and it should then work for you which means it crashed the firmware or has another issue.
Remove the charger from the TomTom and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the TomTom and agree.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No new results yet. Have tried to hold down power button for 35 seconds but it does not "go off" for 35 seconds.

Tried several times.

When power connected from Computer it asks to be updated, but will not work as a navigating device.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, and if you agree for it to be updated, what then happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have "Updated it" several times with no change in operation.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ThanksCan you tell me which model TOMTOM this is please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where is the Model of the TOMTOM written?

It will not show anything but a picture of a TomTom with wire attached and the Title TomTom ONE IQ Routes written at the top.

It cannot be made to do anything more.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it is a TomTom ONE
For this model it confirms the problem,
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to hard restart it. We cannot reset it as you need to access the menu for this which we cannot which confirms the issue as a hardware problem.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But the TomTom has just satisfactorily loaded a new map and several times been tested for faults and none have been found.

So how can it have corrupted firmware?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
because it is not loading it now or responding to anything you do.
If you cannot even access the menu, then this is the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just got up the following screen on the TomTom:-

Have got up a table on the TomTom screen it says:-

TomTom ONE [™] © 2003-2009 Build –N/A-

Hardware Type:- TomTom ONE IQ Routes Edition

SubID (feature) 0 1: 00 (00000000000000000)

Bootloader version S5.5136 clist#340820 RUCT

Checksum: BB12

Memory: 64 MB

CPU ID: 32412003

Clocks: 264.000 132.000 66.000

GPS Type: GL2 BCM4750 FFFF

TFT Type: AUO A035QN02 ALT vcc 13

Internal FLASH Capacity (###) ###-#### *****

MMC NAND version (PRV): 0036 [Samsung]

Startup Mode: Power down 0X00000000

Device ID: PS6469B00405

Touchscreen calib. Data: 101 921 116 829 @3300mV

Sector protection: Yes

Battery boot voltage: 4102 mV

RCT: 19:35:36 07/09/2015

I connected it to the computer - the TomTom HOME screen said: Your Device is up to date. Click 'Back' to go to main menu

I did and it said "Your map is up to date". 7319 map corrections in use.

Among other things it asked me to: ***** ***** Navigating Device.

But when "Items on Device" was selected it showed 9 possibilities with none selected and only 1958.5 Mb of memory used.

It looks as if these have become Unselected. So I selected those that looked useful. But it only offered to copy the selected items to my computer and not to start using them.

Am I getting anywhere? Could it be that the TomTom is not set up correctly?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What you showed initially is just the BIOS dumb which it loads before trying to load firmware from the memory.If you cannot get it to respond to your touch eg: I agree or menu items, it confirms its a hardware problem.It is nothing to do with setup as none of the is done with setup, these are hardware functions and without the ability to use the screen you cannot even reset the device.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help - just had a bite for supper & too late to try anything more now. Good night.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome Christopher
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To RichieMe,

I cannot find "stars" to click, but maybe you mean "Faces" usually used for "Emotions", as above on this email. I have clicked the one for "OK Service", as you had a good try.

I have now contacted "TomTom's own Service Department", who say, for a start, that I should have charged up the TomTom before attempting a "Reset" and that the method you suggested is wrong for my type of TomTom.

I had hoped to carry out their method before getting back to you, as an answer that works might be useful to you in the future, but the method chosen is complicated and I have not yet been able to finish it.

Charging for Just Answer - Although I should think that the service provided by JustAnswer.co.uk is very good for those who want such a service, I do not wish to have a Monthly account or the other type of account.

Thanks again.

Christopher

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
if the screen is not responding at all, you cannot reset it. I gave the instructions based on the TomTom one which is what you told me you hadMy instructions 100% work. I have been doing this for 10 years now, but you may not have the model you told me?For rating, you need to click Submit please after clicking the faces for it to go through. I see it did not go through, if you can retry again that would be appreciated.Thank you