Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Panasonic VHS/DVD Recorder DMR-EZ48VEB which will

Hi, I have a Panasonic VHS/DVD Recorder DMR-EZ48VEB which will record Sky+ programmes either live or recorded onto VHS but records only sound to DVD. regards Robert
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If sound is getting to it then the connections are fine, its usually then the laser that's the issue.
Do you have a lens cleaner there such as this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-CD-DVD-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B000S5UJRQ
If so, run a clean through the player, then try to record.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will record from VHS to DVD so is cleaning still required
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, not if also Video is being recorded, thanks for indicating this.Then its a firmware issue, remove the power to the unit and wait 10 minutesPlug the power back in, turn it on and tell me if it now records correctly please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK will do
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK.....unplugged unit for 10 mins, plugged unit back in > indication 'PLEASE WAIT' displayed > turned itself off > turned unit back on > indication 'HELLO' > carried out a recording of live sky + TV to DVD and same as before, only sound. Have also double checked other 'bits'.....recorded to VHS and copied from VHS to DVD, all working...so?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we will reset the Firmware
To do this, on the player itself under the front flap and while it is on, hold the Channel UP and DOWN buttons for 10 seconds then release.
This will reset it. Then go through the setup procedure again and once done, try to record and let me know please if you still have the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When you say setup procedure do you mean the unplu and 10 min wait etc?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, it will show you on the TV screen, so when you do my instructions it will say Setup and tell you what to do.
Its the same as when you first received the player
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK will do....sorry forgot to press send!!! Right we have lift off, I am now recording Sky+ TV and recorded Sky. I have also tried a recording from the units TV receiver as well which did record. However all recordings are ghosting is this a quick one or should I look at the manual?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
you mean they have a faint white wash over them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can best describe it as slight pixallation around the edges of the words/credits
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
sounds like it may be the TV?Is it only on recordings or everything?And you choose the right settings when setting it up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No only on this units recordings, i.e. not on the sky recordings, so I shall go back and check the picture settings
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes please, play with it and see if you can get it correct for the TV
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've tried all sorts to no avail so I have reset it to the default settings and its the same, so I am admitting defeat!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The TV receivers in the TV, Sky box and Panasonic all give a good picture it's the recorded images that are 'contaminated'
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Then it has to be the mainboard, explains the initial problem and this one
Is it still under warranty?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's quite old, 2010 from Comet!!
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, sorry but your going to have to replace it, its the mainboard thats at fault we have ruled everything else out. It will be the chipset on it.
Explains this problem and the initial one.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks for your help.....at least it's working sort of!!