dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Customer Service
Experience:  Electronics expert.
71208907

I bought a NUVI 66LM sat-nav in Dublin Ireland and am having

Customer Question

I bought a NUVI 66LM sat-nav in Dublin Ireland and am having problems linking up with Garmin on line. I am going to Portugal next week and am trying to get any available updates. I have very little computer expertise which may be the problem. Can you help?
Terry XXXX
Category: Electronics
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! Could you let me know what issue you have trying to sync your unit? You are using USB cable to connect the unit to your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have connected up with USB cable but cannot get any further
Would you be interested in additional services for a remote screen session so that I can assist you to get the communication to the unit correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure what that means but happy to give it a try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's the alternative? I have already paid €28 and am no further
I understand, so we can just try to work via this chat for now then
What operating system are you using please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all I know is that its Windows
could you go to "Start" >> Control Panel
Then look for "Device Manager"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this does not appear under control panel
On the top right, do you see a box "Search Control Panel"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Please type "device manager" and open it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done so. it tells me I am logged on but need administrator to make changes
Do you know if you your account is administrative ? Perhaps this might be why your garmin device is not being recognized properly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry just got Operating System - Windows 7 Professional - does this help?
Yes, great, so if you go back to control panel search, look for "user accounts"
Let's see what type of account you are logged in with
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under User Accounts it asks if I want to edit local user or give administrator rights to a domain user
I understand, you mentioned domain, is this a corporate laptop?
The reason I ask that is, if so, most likely your IT dept has locked the laptop down so that you cannot install additional software or devices without their approval
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we cannot therefore go any further can you please advise, when unlocked, how do I get map updates for the road network in Portugal where I am going next week
So once it is connected to Garmin Express, it will then allow you to download the updates for all of UK & Europe. Nothing special you would need to do specifically for the Portugal region
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. Do I still have to pay €28 to find out I am 'locked'?
I would be happy to assist you if you have any problems with updating once you are able to get it "unlocked"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will that cost me again?
No I would be happy to assist you without any additional costs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I suppose its some consolation that I didn't go for the extra?
Yes, as we would have ended up in the same place.
Please do rate my service here today and please return here when you are unlocked and I will be happy to assist you to get it updated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was unlocked this evening by my IT Dept. and was able to access the info I looked for. A waste of €28 but no fault of yours.Regards,Terry
Great Terry...sorry I wasn't able to be of more assistance but I am glad you were able to get it resolved .Please do rate my service, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
dresteve2000, Customer Service
Experience: Electronics expert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just found to my horror an item on my bank statement titled 'JUSTAnswer Membership' for which I was charged €38. I did not ask for nor do I want membership and respectfully ***** ***** immediate repayment of this amount.Terry Tierney
Terry - I will refer this to customer service for you - please do contact them also if you want to get this resolved quicker