Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I haver a Lumix digital camera DMC TZ 60, which I bought in

I haver a Lumix digital camera DMC TZ 60, which I bought in July. It has operated succesffully, but a few days ago, whilst away in Austria, the internal LCD screen broke. The camera had not been dropped of treated roughly. I went to Jessops, the retailer I bought it from, who said this wouldn't be covered by the guarantee, and I would need to pay for it to be repaired. I am going on holiday shortly. so couldn't get it repaired in time. Any suggestions?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
100% this is covered by the warranty, there is no question about this so I am very dissapointed that your retailer said this as this is not correct. The camera has a minimum 1 year warranty on all parts...
The problem is you cannot have the LCD screen repaired, it needs to be replaced and in this case, if you have to pay for the repair yourself, it exceeds the value of purchasing a new camera. So for this problem, a repair is not realistic.
One thing I want to try though first as this has been known to cause the issue (a build up of residue power) is to remove the battery.
Then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.
Put the battery back in, turn it on and tell me if the screen now shows please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the screen still shows, but is still broken.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you would need to replace the camera as repairing it is not economically feasible.But as I indicated before, this is covered by warranty. And your retailer has no right to decline this.They cannot decline this, and you are covered by the warranty and even consumer laws, so I strongly recommend you return to the retailer and depend they replace the camera under warranty as the whole point of the warranty is to cover issues such as this.If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you