Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Lumix DMC FZ100 Bridge Camera. The problem starts with a message

Customer Question

Lumix DMC FZ100 Bridge Camera.
The problem starts with a message saying 'Turn camera off and back on again.' After this happens 2 or 3 times the zoom will freeze and a message will display saying 'Error fault (Zoom)' The zoom, together with all other functions, will cease to operate and the camera will then refuse to even shut off. The only way to switch it off is to remove the battery. Sometimes this will clear the fault but usually the camera refuses to operate even after removing and replacing the battery. The camera will remain in this state, with the zoom partly extended, for about two hours when it will switch off and the fault will cleared. Unfortunately once it starts to freeze in this manner it will keep doing it virtually every time I use it. I had it 'repaired' (??) by a camera specialist who claimed it was caused by sand. As the camera has only ever been used in a studio I don't believe this diagnosis. Please help!!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Sand would not be causing this, its either a faulting memory card, residue power or the chipset on the cameras mainboard.
as the first step, can you remove the battery to the camera
Then hold the Shutter button down for 60 seconds and release.
Then put the battery in and turn it on and tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Richie.

I have done as you suggested then turned the camera on again. I operated the zoom in and out repeatedly for about twenty times when the message

'Turn camera off and back on again' showed. This cleared the problem but then it happened again when I repeated the zooming. It would probably take some time to find out if it will freeze completely. Do you want me to carry on doing this until the zoom freezes and I get the message 'System error (Zoom)' ? As I said it might take some time.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, no point terry as we know it will.
Can you put a different memory card in it, then repeat my last instructions again and let me know how it then operates please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did as before then put in a new SD card. The message 'Turn camera off and on again' came up after several zooming operations. I truned the camera off and on but the zoom then remained frozen with the image way out of focus. There was no 'System Error (Zoom)' message. After waiting some time to see if anything would happen I found I was able to manually push the lens back in, at which point the problem cleared. Normally the lens is locked in its frozen position and cannot be moved.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ThanksNot sure why your repair man could not see this but it is the chipset on the mainboard that has faulted. A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to hard restart it. I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. If the warranty has expired, it is not worth the cost of a repair as this will exceed the value of a new one. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your help. As a 74 year old pensioner I can't really afford to

replace this camera at the moment so I will persevere with it for awhile then look for another. Thankfully it is only my back-up camera. Once again many thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcomeIf you need anything else, please let me knowThank you