Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have recently installed Windows 10 and I am now having extreme

I have recently installed Windows 10 and I am now having extreme difficulty updating my Nuvi2597LMT
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Can you do the following please
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then try to do the update.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi RichieMe

I have carried out the actions described above, unfortunately to no avail.

I still can not update Garmin.

I believe it is being blocked for some reason.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you give the complete message it gives please when it fails?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richie,

The complete message reads:

Install Failed

Garmin Express could not be installed on this computer. Try Installing again

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, rather then double click the icon to install, can you right click it and select Run as Administrator please?Tell me if you still get the error
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richie,

I'm sorry to say I still get the sme result

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
can you go to control panel, user accounts.Click on your user account and make sure that administrator is selected as the account typeTell me if it is or not please,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is set as Administrator, Password *****

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, create a new user account on the computer please (make sure to make it an administrator)Then restart the computer and sign in with this new user account.then in this new account try to install Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richie hi,

I have created a new account and signed in with this account but the result is still the same when I try to update Garmin Express

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
right click on the install icon and choose propertiesthen choose compatabilityThen choose Windows 7Click ok then try to install please.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richie Hi,

Thank you for your endeavours but I think we are flogging a dead horse here.

I believe I will have to consider a new PC.

Thank you again.