Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I cannot connect my Sony DSC RX100 M3 to my computer. I get

Customer Question

I cannot connect my Sony DSC RX100 M3 to my computer. I get a message USB device not recognised.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, can you please tell me what you have already tried out to connect this camera to computer?What Windows version you're running in computer?Have you tried to go into camera Menu > Setup > USB Connection > select Auto > OK that might help to fix the problem?Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am running Windows 8.1 I have a tech support package and they seem to have tried everything, including trying to downlaod a driver, but it did not work.
I have tried menu as you suggested but no joy. It was on mass storage and I changed it to auto but no joy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When on play memoriesforme site it still does not recognise the camera.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, is it possible for you to connect the camera to any other computer?This way we will confirm that camera and USB cable is working or not.Also, have you tried to download latest driver for Windows 8.1 from following Sony link?http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=DSCRX100M3&LOC=3#/downloadTabThanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried connecting to another computer and also other ports also changed the camera lead.
I looked for the firmware update but its too complicated for me.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, how old is the camera and was it working fine with same computer before this problem occurred?Have you checked computer USB ports by connecting any other USB device?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent the camera back to Sony for repair but they had it for six weeks then sent it back saying it was OK
This is a new camera I bought it in January and it has never worked properly
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, Have you checked computer USB ports by connecting any other USB device?Have you tried to plug the camera into PC running Windows 7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do that
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, if camera works with Windows 7 PC then its for sure requires firmware upgrade to work with Windows 8.1 version.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that is the answer, but how can I do that? Can you send me an email with the steps needed to install firmware please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried it on a friends laptop but had the same result.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
For a while, you can take out memory card from camera and plug it in card port on PC or use memory card reader device to transfer pictures to computer. Please check following Sony link that has details about how to upgrade camera firmware so please follow those instructions for successful update..http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=DSCRX100M3&upd_id=10084&os_group_id=24Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Is the friend's laptop running on Windows 7 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, tried to ring them but they are out. I supect it is 8.1 but not sure
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, please check with friend to make sure the laptop has Windows 7 or 8.1, we need to connect the camera to Windows 7 to see if it works with it then upgrading firmware should be done on same computer because USB connection is required to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** printed the instrustions and will try it later. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. Regards,Shahid.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Well, question got refunded, not sure if suggestion worked or not.