Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Nikon Coolpix S3400, all I can see through the viewfinder

Customer Question

I have a Nikon Coolpix S3400, all I can see through the viewfinder is purple, it shows previously recorded images OK, I have taken the battery out, replaced the card, made sure it is fully charged, help please
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and welcome
Can you take out the battery then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.
Then wait 10 minutes, put the battery in and turn it on and tell me please if the viewfinder is now functioning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no different

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, go to the Menu, then Setup, and choose Reset All
Tell me if after doing this, it is now working please Valerie.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No different
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reset it. We have also ruled out residue power as the cause for this.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help, unfortunately the warranty ran out in May! so it looks like a Christmas present coming up.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Well deserved one at that Valerie.
Your welcome.