Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Good morning I have been experiencing problems with the

good morning
I have been experiencing problems with the BE disc recorder/ player for some time on my Panasonic DMR-BWT700 - and now it doesn't recognise any disc inserted.
Is it possible to purchase disc unit - (I'm a service engineer - so can fit it myself if it is available)
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The disk unit is not for sale seperatly sorry, so your only chance is to source an old unit and use the disk unit from this (in the event there is a different fault with the sold unit)
But to be sure, have you reset the unit? If not, while it is powered on, hold on the unit itself (not the remote) the Channel up and down buttons for 6 seconds then release.
this should return the unit to new, so go through the setup again and then try to play a disk.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will this wipe the hard disc ?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes it will, as its a reset, but you want to do this to reload the firmware and rule this out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I disconnect the HDD before resetting to preserve the data - I have information on there that I wish to keep, but, of course, I am unable to copy to BE disc at present.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
To be honest Charles, I am not sure if the reset will run when it detects no hard drive. Its not standard practice.
Try and if the reset runs it is ok, else you will need to leave it connected
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have now disconnected the HDD.

There doesn't appear to be channel up/down buttons on the unit only a stop button and forward x1.3 button - the only buttons visible

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is under a flap on the front of the unit Charles so you need to open the flap to see the buttons.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry - I can't see a flap, are we talking about the same unit ?.

Looking from the left of the unit (at the front), there's the optical disc unit, then a usb port then an SD card slot and then the stop and fast forward buttons.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Look at page 11 of the manual here http://data.manualslib.com/pdf3/79/7833/783217-panasonic/dmrbwt800.pdf?6c1110e93ab5d3ca8898836440dc0939They are the buttons coded as 11
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - My unit is DMR - BWT700 (not 800) - and doesn't have these buttons.

Is there any other way to reset it ?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, its the manual for both but can you get to the menu on the unit still?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes if I reconnect the HDD

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then you will need to do the reset via the menu.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok.

Thank you for your time.

I'm going to have to think about how I do this - I really don't want to reset it and lose all my data.

I'll have to leave it for now.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok... but before anything else you would have to do this Charles, to confirm if it is the drive thats at fault.
I have marked this question to never close, so any issues, let me know here
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.