Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My PS3 slim was freezing so I reformatted the hard drive,

Hi, My PS3 slim was freezing so I reformatted the hard drive, now I have nothing. can you advise please?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What exactly happens now when you turn on the PS3?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The screen remains black and the yellow light is constant

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,
Its referred to as the yellow light of death, this indicates hardware failure. If you are still on your one year warranty with Sony, they will replace it. if not, then you have to pay 150 pounds to have it repaired by Sony
you can if your a bit technically minded attempt this trick yourself that can get it working about 50% of the time. There is a video set for doing this which you can follow here
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
As it was freezing before you did this, it minimises the chances that this trick will work as it points to a memory fault, but if you feel confident to dis-assemble it, and the warranty is up, it can save you on the repair costs
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the links you have sent are for the older model of Playstation, mine is the PS3 slim model.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, there is no guide for the Slim version, but the hardware is the same and you need to perform the same heating process as is in the guide I gave you.
then dismantle guide through for the PS3 slim you can get here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf3aD2Owbek
Which will show you how to dismantle it to get to the mainboard to perform the procedure.