Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Handset does not communicate with Sony TV. New handset purchased,

Customer Question

handset does not communicate with Sony TV. New handset purchased, exactly the same problem
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please the make and model of the Handset?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to come back to you tomorrow. I can not re-visit the house where the TV is until then.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem and thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Handset RM-ED013 TV Sony KDL40v4000 Sorry for the delay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Richard. Any clues yet? Our local repair shop is totally non-plussed. Ideas on the internet have been tried, without success.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the delay, I was not online when you replied.
If two remotes do not work, then the remote you have is not designed for the TV. I checked it up and it does not indicate it is.
This one is though
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL-40V4000-Replacement-Remote-Control/dp/B0062OJ374
Its designed for this exact model, so I advise you get this remote and it should then function on your TV
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Richard. Thanks, ***** ***** We are on holiday tomorrow until 16th. I'll let you know the result asap.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you and enjoy the holiday
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Richard. Back from holiday, but problem not solved.TV only responds spasmodically to the remote, driving my good lady mad. Costs now exceeding £150, and we are no nearer a solution. New TV on the horizon unless we can find a way of activating the little blue dot with the remote!
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, now that we have the correct handset we know this is not the cause.
Can you make sure nothing is in front of the TV and clean the front of it to make sure the signal is not being disrupted.
Let me know if this improves it please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
TV has not been moved since purchase 3-4 years ago,and the signal is not obscured from any forward direction. My good lady can be described as a compulsive cleaner, so no problem there. However, the situation is as follows, using either remote (neither is better than the other). Apart from the on/off switch, the remotes work quite reasonably for about 15/30 minutes. When the TV warms up, they gradually become difficult to operate, before failing completely. Our local repair man has given up!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is mainboard that has faulted and will be the chipset on it. Its shorting out when the TV builds up a full charge after being on for 30 minutes.
As the TV is quite old, a repair is really not worth the investment, as you will only get a limited warranty, and new TV's are cheap enough now days to avoid a repair such as this.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.