Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a 6 year old Panasonic BT205 DVD/Blu Ray Player.

Hi, I have a 6 year old Panasonic BT205 DVD/Blu Ray Player. It has recently stopped playing DVDs. It doesn't recognise the discs at all. It plays Blue Ray fine. Is this likely to be a setting problem, or something more serious?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Shahid and will assist you, sorry to hear about DVD/Bluray player problem.This kind of problem occurs due to failure of laser block as laser block consist of two main sections, one for DVD/CD and other for Bluray disc. In your case the DVD section of laser block has got internal problem so player has become unable to read DVD disc data.Replacement of entire laser block is needed to resolve the problem but it would cost good money like more than new bluray player cost so I would recommend to get a DVD player only to connect it to your TV to watch DVD disc and keep using this player for Bluray Disc. New DVD player would be available 20-25 Pounds from local electronics store. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.Regards,Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it is unlikely to be a simple dirty laser head problem?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a dirty laser lens would read out disc data or refuse disc occasionally, in other words, some time it will play and some time it wont play same disc or get stuck in middle of playback etc. If player doesn't read out any DVD disc at all then it is laser block (DVD section) failure and if player recognize few DVD disc then laser lens cleaning will help to get it back in business.I hope these info will help. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.Thanks.