Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.
42300671

I have a TX-L42 WT50. I've purchased a Sonos sound

Hello . I have a TX-L42 WT50. I've purchased a Sonos sound bar. The Sonos asks me to turn the sound off on the TV. (Then when the optic cable is connected between the TV and Sonos, the sound will emit only from the Sonos, while the TV speaker remains mute).
How do I mute the TV speaker please?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Dan T. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to the site. I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. I've been working with these Panasonic models for years. Are you still with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm here.
Expert:  Dan T. replied 1 year ago.
OK, welcome. I've worked with these models a lot. On the TX series, there is no way to turn the speakers off with a menu function, and selecting "Mute" from the menu would either mute the Sonos, as well, or would make the word "Mute" appear on the screen. The best course of action, then, is to simply turn the TV's volume to minimum / zero. This will allow the Sonos to operate normally, and will ensure the TV's speakers don't interfere.This is actually very similar to the set up I run in my office, since my Sharp TV doesn't have the "speakers off" function, either. Does this all make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Dan, thanks. I will alert the Sonos shop as it seems the two are not really comparable. I can make it work OK by connecting the optic cable from TV the sky box, but then wen I switch to back to terrestrial the Sonos is out of circuit. Grim eh! Thanks anyway. Regards, Rod.
Expert:  Dan T. replied 1 year ago.
They are compatible. Bose systems have similar issues with some TVs. You just need to turn the TV volume down, and the Bose (or Sonos) volume up. Either way, best of luck and let me know if you need anything else. Also, be sure to leave a star rating on the page before you go. Thanks.