Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Yamaha PSR-E243 The screen lights up when you press the on/off

Yamaha PSR-E243
The screen lights up when you press the on/off button but darkens again when you release it. The unit does not power-up and there is no 'click' from the loudspeakers. Fault is the same whether on internal batteries or mains power supply.
David.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you remove the power cables and batteries then hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.
Then connect the power cable and tell me please if it will now start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Waiting 60 sec now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Exactly the same result.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is the internal power supply that has faulted.
There is a capacitor on it that is shorting out when it builds up a charge which is why you get this symptom.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the keyboard to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a licenced Radio Amateur and can change a capacitor quite easily myself. The unit is not under guarantee. Which capacitor is it?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Open up the unit and you will need to check, it will either have bulged or split, then you will see the one to replace.
Let me know how you go please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the bottom open. There's no sign of splitting or physical damage to any of the capacitors. There's a large electrolytic - 1,000 mfd I think, near the fuse. Would that be the most likely one?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you see no damage, that would be the most likely cause. If your able to, replace this and see if it then starts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Obviously that will take a while. Can I get back to you later today or tomorrow?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes thats ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Soldering iron at the ready and over to the spares box. Do i just ask for Richard?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
just reply here like your doing now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thanks. I take it no more than the £14 is going to come out of my account?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. Will let you know the outcome.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard. I have now replaced both the 1,000 mfd and the 470 mfd beside it with new components. No difference.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then if you are sure there are no capacitors blown, and you soldered it correctly then its the chipset or the board itself (a circuit along it) that has failed.This they do not sell separate and your only chance is to find a second hand one where the board is still working and replace it with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I think that's a slim chance but you never know.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I understand, its the only option left sorryIf you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer