Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a Canon HF R66 which records and plays back on its screen

I have a Canon HF R66 which records and plays back on its screen OK. I use Sony Movie Studio editing suite but when I connect the camcorder to my computer via USB to download video, the device capture program says "no device detected". Is there some way of unlocking the camcorder?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I suspect this is a problem with either the computer or the USB cable.Can you try connecting to a different USB port on the computer, or try using a different cable, and let me know if it connects?If it still does not, try connecting to a different computer and let me know if it detects the camera ok.NOTE - if you are using a laptop, ensure it is connected to the main power supply to enable sufficient power to reach the USB ports. Also try unplugging any other unnecessary USB devices that may be connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** tried all those things. No joy.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Malcolm,
How many computers have you tried connecting it to?
Is it not detected on any computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I regret that your answer was insufficient. I have since discovered that this model of camcorder uses software supplied by Pixela, which has to be downloaded from their website to enable the video to be accessed.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Malcolm,These camcorders don't require any additional software to be installed - USB connections are universal ("universal serial bus") - the Pixela software can be used as a tool to import the recordings from the camcorder, but it is not required to allow the camcorder to connect to the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Pete,

To clarify my answer: the Pixela software has to be downloaded to the computer if you wish to use a proprietary editing suite to edit the video and export it. Visit our website at fleetairarmfriends.org.uk to see some of my earlier efforts.