Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

We have a Samsung LCD TV, suddenly a blue dotted line has appeared

We have a Samsung LCD TV, suddenly a blue dotted line has appeared about 1 inch from the right hand side of the screen. There is also a black horizontal line about halfway down the screen.
Above the horizontal line there is an intermittent double picture.
I have turn the tv off and disconnected all of the cables but nothing has changed.
This has all happened after we connected the HDMI to the PC, this may have been a coincidence.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Shahid and will be happy to assist you. I need additional info of TV symptoms to troubleshoot the problem. - Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shahid,

The model is LE40D550K1W

it is about 5 years old and the problem manfested itself yesterday afternoon. I had been trying to connect my laptop to the tv to play some wedding photos to our guests. I could not get the pc to load the pictures and the issue started minutes after I disconnected it.

There is a skybox connected via HDMI and a DVD player via a cable.

If I disconnect box external appliances the lines are still apparent on the screen.

Ian

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian for the info.This kind of problem occurs due to internal failure of LCD panel circuitry or t-con board that provides video data to LCD panel circuitry. Hooking PC with HDMI cable was just coincidence. Have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall socket/ cut the AC supply from wall switch to reset, replug back in and turn the TV On to see if it helps?If it doesn't fix the issue then t-con board which would be mounted under metal shield at center bottom of rear of LCD panel is next option and if it doesn't fix the issue then I'm afraid it would be LCD panel problem and entire screen will be replaced which may cost approx new TV price of same size and at that point you would be better off with a new TV.I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. Regards,Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shahid,

I will try unplugging and resetting when I get home.

Is the t-con board something I can get at externally? You say it is located at the rear of the LCD panel, where is that likely to be?

Ian

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Ian,Please check attached image file that will show t-con board location if back cover of TV is removed, it is a sample picture to have you better idea. There would be flat ribbon cable plugged in coming from main board where all video inputs are located. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shahid

Do I need to replace this if disconnecting from the mains does not work. Where do I get a replacement?

Ian

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Ian, it needs to get part number off of t-con board found in TV to search/ google it to get price and stock info about replacement t-con board and hopefully it would be available at ebay etc.If you're not comfortable working on TV yourself then local TV tech will do this work and please note that t-con board replacement may or may not fix the problem as I explained in my previous reply, if problem still persist then it would be sure that LCD panel is bad.Thanks.
Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech