Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I cannot access the home menu on my HT-D5550 surround sound

Hi. I cannot access the home menu on my HT-D5550 surround sound system or the initial start up menu. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What exactly happens when you turn it on and access the menu?
Are you getting a specific error?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I leave the input on H.in1 it will stay on H.in1.pressing MENU takes input to NODISC. Pressing FUNCTION button alters input to req. input. However I cannot access HOME menu to calibrate the surround sound or use any MENU functions.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
exactly happens when you try to access home?
Do you get a response?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It takes me back to NODISC on the input menu.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you put a disk in and then repeat this, does it still say No Disc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to take so long, computer upstairs system downstairs. DVD will not play, CD will play.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Whats the error with the DVD?
Nodisc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The TV screen stays blank. No picture on DVD or playlist for CD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No error appears It just says MENU for the DVD and play for the CD.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, so you can or cannot get to the menu when putting a DVD in (sorry it is not clear what the results where from my last instructions).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO error on the machine appears when the DVD is inserted, it will not play. The CD will play, no error appears on the machine and no menu appears on screen for the CD.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
It appears either the DVD lens is dirty or faulting, as this would explain the symptoms you're having.
Do you have a DVD cleaner disk available there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its not the DVD menu that I need to sort. I cannot access the HOME MENU to recalibrate the surround sound system.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, but the error with the DVD will cause issues with the main menu.
Hence why we need to do this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I take your point Richard and apologise. I do not have a cleaner disc, but I can get one tomorrow and let you know what transpires , if that's ok with you?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes this is fine, but its down to two things.
If the cleaner allows the DVD to play then the menu will again work.
If the DVD does not play, which results in the menu still not working, it means either the Lens itself has failed or the mainboard in the unit.
If this is the case then I am really sorry but you are going to have to return the unit to have a hardware diagnostics performed and the faulting component replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. this is in the event the clean does not resolve it.
I have marked this question to never close, so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I contact you. Do I go through this website or contact you direct?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Through this website please, just like you are doing now and the message then comes directly to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you. keeping my fingers crossed you have solved the problem. Good night.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Good night and all the best
And please remember the service rating when you are ready.