Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Noticed recently that BP70A battery life was getting shorter

Customer Question

Noticed recently that BP70A battery life was getting shorter in my Samsung camera ES78 and decided that new battery required bought one online. Showed "full" when inserted and left camera on side for a couple of days until I required it today. a check showed that battery was almost empty "low battery" and after 6 shots it would not even open .
ideas?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you remove the battery and wait 10 minutes.
While waiting, hold the shutter button for 60 seconds then release.
Then put the battery back in, turn on the camera ans tell me if it now functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the camera opens and shoots BUT the question was why does it run down so quickly when not even used

used it on a holiday a few years ago and shot 185 pictures before the battery needed a recharge

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The power board on the camera is usually the culprit (a failed capacitor or voltage regulator) which over draws power from the battery.
It can be caused by residue power, which is why we just did this action.
Thats why I need to know please Bryan if you still have the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

looks ok but after a dozen shots down to half full.

not a lot of confidence it will shoot sufficient shots for my use. I need to make a journey to shoot a building and if it goes then I have wasted my time and will have to return empty handed

Bryan

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, half full meas the power board is faulting, its not residue power, and you still have the issue Bryan. The internal mainboard would need to be replaced.
It can be the battery but as you have already replaced this it is ruled out.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. If the warranty has repaired, I advise against a repair as this will exceed the value of a replacement.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard,

I think we have it solved, looks like the reset has put things in line again, Do not know if the button for the "power save" in the "off" position had an affect.

perhaps you might let me have an opinion.

You take care

Bryan

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It will remove all residue power which can cause this Bryan, or the reset if the firmware was the issue.
this is why its best to do both actions to rule both out.
If you need anything else, please let me know.