Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I have a PSR-S710 about 3 years old. One of the keys sometimes

I have a PSR-S710 about 3 years old.
One of the keys sometimes does not respond, and I suspect a few others do very occasionally.The key which gives the most problem has become a nuisance and I would appreciate your advice on possible cause and what are the prospects of home servicing please.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. This is a common issue over time – normally longer than 3 years – it can happen as soon however if you use the instrument a lot. If it's not due to where it could also just be due to faulty contacts. Basically, each key has a contact and each contact is in a set of contacts connected to a strip. Most likely, the service that it needs is having those contact strips replaced. The parts themselves are not expensive and it's a fairly inexpensive to have service. If you have a local company that does electronic musical instrument servicing, then you should be able to get it done through them for a very reasonable cost. If you don't have a company that you know of for that you already deal with, if you let me know where you are located, I can help you locate one. Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you your reply, Michael.

I suspected something of the sort and wondered if perhaps there was a dirty contact that may only need cleaning.

I would appreciate your help in locating a local concern that could help.

I live in Waterlooville, Hampshire, about 15 miles north of Portsmouth,

and reasonably close to Fareham and Havant.

A telephone number or Email address would help considerably, if you can advise me please.

Walter

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
If it was confined to one key, I would say that it might just be a dirty contact and could be cleaned out with some compressed air or contact cleaner. More than one key is more likely a set of faulty contacts. They are basically just membrane contacts on a ribbon cable, so there isn't much to that piece.There is a fairly large music retailer/servicer n that area. It's called Nevada Music:(023) 9220 5100***@******.***
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Michael.

I know of Nevada Music, not too far from me.

I purchased an amplifier there a couple of years ago.

I shall enquire about repairs.

Regards.

Walter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your on-going interest.

Your previous answers suggested where to look for the problem, and yesterday my son-in -law (who is very experienced in repairing computers, audio mixing decks, etc) decided to investigate for me.

He confirmed your diagnosis that one of the flexible cones is faulty, with a small split, due I suppose to fatigue stress.

As a temporary measure he has interchanged that strip with the one from the far right octave, where the notes are rarely played.

It works !

I have today located a supplier (Beckets Music) in Southampton and ordered a new set of five flexible strips in order to replace them all, and hopefully have many more hours of enjoyment in playing the keyboard (as well as I am able !).

Your answers to my question were extremely helpful because I was loathe to attempt the work myself, but now that I have seen how it is assembled I shall have confidence to do so again if necessary.

Thank you again for your help.

Walter