Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have an Apple Mac book air and was installing the new os.

I have an Apple Mac book air and was installing the new os. The installation downloaded ok but seemed to get stuck on 15 mins left. I turned the Mac book air off and when I turned it on again it said that there was insufficient space on disk to install. So now I'm stuck in limbo as I can't by this message. Stupidly I haven't done a time machine, but can access the disk utility. Please help!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can ou attempt the following please
Power off the mac
Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.
Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window
choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if it then starts please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard
Thanks for your response. I did performed the first aid as you suggested and the amount of space available went from 0kb to 6gb. I then clicked on the restart. It has now come up with the install OS X again and asked me to continue, which I will try. It has given me the disclaimer. It has now asked me on which disk I would like to install OS X with only Mac HD as an option. When I click on it, it comes up with the 'not enough free space on Mac HD to install'. What else do you suggest?
I work as a private tutor so can't afford to wipe the whole system and I wish I'd not bothered updating the OS system to the newest one.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can you do the following please.
Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.
Tell me what then happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard
I have done as you suggested. It is loading slowly. It has now loaded on to the set up installation of OS X as before.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, your going to have to try to reinstall the operating system which will mean you will lose your data Annabel, but this cannot be avoided sorry, we have exhausted all other options.
To do this
Restart your Mac. Immediately hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys after you hear the startup sound to start up in OS X Recovery.
When the Recovery window appears, select Disk Utility then click Continue.
Select the hard disk from the left side of the Disk Utility window, then click the Erase tab.
From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Type a name for your disk, then click Erase.
After the drive is erased, close the Disk Utility window.
If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu.
Select the option to Reinstall OS X.
Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall OS X.
Let me know if it then reinstalls please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Is there no way I can back up some files (word files and family pics) before wiping. 😔
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, not now as you cannot access it, and to be honest Annabel it is very likely its already gone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That looks fine. It is working now. Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect!If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you