Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Our rather old radio/cd player SL-PS670A/SL-PS770A has developed

Our rather old radio/cd player SL-PS670A/SL-PS770A has developed a fault. When we insert a CD a sign comes up 'NO DISC' so we are unable to use it. We've dusted the area and made sure that the disc is clean. Can you help please?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To be sure, have you tried a number of disks? Do you get the same problem with each disk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks,
There will be two causes for this, either the Lens in the player is dirty or the Lens has faulted.
To confirm this you need to run a clean on the Lens. To do this, you need a lens cleaner such as this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-CD-DVD-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B000S5UJRQ
You run a clean and if it was just dust, then the player will resume working.
If it still does not function, then your going to need to have the lens replaced.
It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the repair will be done at no cost to you. Else you will need to get a quote first to see if it is worth the cost or cheaper to purchase a replacement which it can be in a lot of cases.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I have ordered the lens cleaner you suggested and will hope for the best! Mary
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome Mary!
Usually its dust so you should have a good chance.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard,
As you suggested, I bought a lens cleaner, but the display showed 'No Disc' as before, and didn't work. I guess I'll have to take it somewhere to be looked at.
Cheers
Mary