Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My wife has a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Normally she switches

My wife has a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Normally she switches on the tablet and it comes up with the blue swipe screen with a dandelion and the date on it. Yesterday it suddenly opened with the same background that wouldn't swipe, and containing a box with a flashing cursor. I presume it is asking for a password. This has never happened before and she doesn't know why it has happened now. Her gmail.com password ***** work and if there was another password, then that has been lost. Is there a way of fixing this without a hard reset?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the tablet and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the tablet and use it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got the "Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" on a black background. then i was left with the battery charging symbol.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so it is frozen now on the Samsung logo page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I got the Samsung logo page which stayed on for maybe 10 seconds before disappearing. Then the battery charging image came up with the normal animation.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now wait 15 minutes so it can charge and then repeat my last instructions.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I leave it plugged into the charger when I repeat the process?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, exactly like we did before please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Something has changed. I now have a bar across the bottom of the screen with the usual back arrow on the left, and a few icons on the right one of which suggest that it is downloading something. I also got an information box saying that it was connecting to my wifi. The screen is back to the dandelion on a blue background and the box for a password.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, are you able to pass the password *****?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I tap on the password ***** the keyboard appears and I can type in a password, but the password ***** just disappears presumably because it is the wrong password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't do anything else with the screen. It won't swipe. The back arrow doesn't function and none of the icons on the bottom right produce anything.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thats correct,
You will have to reset the Tab, it is going to remove all your data and return it to new, but this cannot be avoided sorry.
To do the reset
Power the device off.
Press and hold the Power button until the Device options screen appears.
Select Power off.
Select OK.
Press and hold the Volume up button then press and hold the Power button.
When the Samsung logo appears, release all.
Select wipe data/factory reset.
Note Utilize the Volume buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.
Select Yes -- delete all user data.
Select reboot system now.
Then you can set it up again and use it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really don't want to lose the data, so I will first go through all the possible passwords again to see if I have missed anything. I will let you know how I gt on. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome
The last restore will be the reset which will fix it for you
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer