TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Tellys
26807325

I wish to connect my second Panasonic TV in my home to my digital

Customer Question

I wish to connect my second Panasonic TV in my home to my digital source (a BT home hub). The main TV is in a downstairs room and it is some distance from the new one which is in an upstairs room. The BT digibox supplying the downstairs TV is connected to the home hub via TP electricity mains connectors. Do I now buy another digibox for the TV upstairs and if so can I connect it like the first, using TP mains connectors? And if I were to do that would it be possible to run both digiboxes simultaneously on the system but tuned into different programmes?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
That's the wisest way to connect your 2nd TV so you don't have to watch the same TV show at the same time.As for the TP main adaptor, you may end up having 2 to keep the signal separated from your 1st TV. While they state they are fully compatible with other TP Link products, they do not state that TP products can share a single network connection hub. I don't think the hub has the ability to act as a router/switch. As for "The old fashioned outside antenna but the signal is poor" issue, I always try an RF amp. A 29db amp is much more powerful than a 10db amp, so look for the highest db you can find online. The only thing an amp can't do is improve a signal that's blocked by the earth, so get that aerial UP. If you're in the upstairs room place the aerial facing the transmitters -- rooftop aerials is alsways the "Preferred" location. a window facing the transmitters is the 2nd.Reply back to me if you need more information, ok? I think I've covered all of your question, but if I missed something, reply back instead of rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your helpful reply. I tried to keep my initial question simple but there is another factor which I didn't mention. I do have a third TV (!) which is already running perfectly using a signal off a roof-top antenna into a room two away from the one into which I wish to install the new TV. I'm beginning to think that the simplest way might just be to run the third TV as a monitor to the second - by bringing a flex through the loft. Would that be better than trying to run both TVs off the one antenna by means of some sort of junction? I promise not to complicate the question any more! Hugh
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
I'm wondering about the TV with bad signal. If the TV is connected to the rooftop aerial, then the tuner in the TV may be weak, or the aerial line to the TV has a bad connection. To test this, I suggest taking the TV to the Known good aerial connection and connect the TV with the bad signal to that one and then you'll know if the TV or aerial wire is the source of your problem. Whichever TV is easier to move, you move it to the space in question and connect it. I hope your bad TV can be moved to the 3rd TV's room. I am still not ready to be rated...JustAnswer is still locking that checkbox. (grr)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. Both TVs are fine when connected separately to the roof antenna, but neither performs well with a room antenna. So if I go down the antenna route both would need connecting to the roof antenna. Is that possible simultaneously? I suppose I would have to use some sort of junction box. Or should I just settle for the extra television acting as a monitor; working off the television that is presently connected to the roof antenna? There are only two of us and my wife wouldn't mind as long as the sound on the first TV was off when I was using the second. (The second is to be in the ironing room!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just had another idea, a switching mechanism on the antenna junction box so I can direct the 100% signal to one TV or the other.
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
You can usually just use a splitter. No need for a switch.There's a vast difference between an indoor (room) aerial and an outdoor (rooftop) aerial. It comes down to Power the aerial can pick up.If an indoor aerial is weak, you simply add an RF amplifier to it, and it works as long as the signal isn't being blocked by walls made of metal. Personally, I would simply try connecting BOTH to the aerial with a splitter, and it should work fine. If it's weak, you just add an RF amp to the aerial's main line, and split it after the amp.http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-27822HSG-Output-Signal-Booster/dp/B00DB22ZUC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce That's a reasonable amp to use. You get good signal, you just need to share it on 2 TVs.