Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I hope you are well I have an Acer Aspire E13 with

Customer Question

I hope you are well
I have an Acer Aspire E13 with two USB ports.
The USB 3 port is not working despite DEvice Manager telling me "This device is working properly
I had been using this for connection of my Acer to a Digital to Analogue Converter, but now I have to use my USB 2 port and use the finger pad for navigating the screen which is not the best
Lawrie
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Just to be sure its not the device, if you plug a usb memory stick into this non working port, is the memory stick detected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When did it stop working?
And which version of windows are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiNot been working for some timeI downloaded a free version of Windows 10 when it was first released
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you tell me what some time is please? A week, Month?
Was it working after you installed windows 10?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THe laptop I am using here is a windows 9 ASUS by the way
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, there is only windows 7,8, or 10, no 9
But, I only need to know about the problem computer.
can you tell me what some time is please? A week, Month?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is probably 3 months old.It has not worked since the windows 10 upgrade.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then tell me if it now works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At 23% complete
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
43%
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
70%
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
93%
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
.thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Restarting computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I have let the computer do another scan after restart?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
let it dot the other scan after the restart
Did you cancel it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... you had to leave it run,. I will repeat the instructions that you need to do please.
A black window will open.
type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
Then tell me if it now works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience scanning drive (C) now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to leave the house in 30 minutes but will leave the scan running (currently at 10% complete). If not complete I will give you a 5 star and submit. I assume we are still on the free trial?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** check your account for that you need to email customer service on***@******.*** and they can tell you this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,It is still at 10%. So I will give you the rating and sign off.Thanks again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and Let me know the results please
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi RichardTHe fix we worked on yesterday has not workedKInd regardsLawrie
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we will then have to do a reinstall of windows, it is the only option left to do.
To do this, first backup all your data off the computer (programs you will need to install again).
Then restart the computer and on the log in screen, hold down the SHIFT button and with it held down, click the power icon and choose restart. Keep SHIFT held until it has restarted into a menu. Choose Troubleshoot, then Reset my PC. This returns the PC to new, so you can set it up again.
Set it up and tell me if the USB port now works please.