Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I'm trying to get midi CC control over mixer playback parameters

Hi. I'm trying to get midi CC control over mixer playback parameters in a Tascam 2488 mk1 hard disc recorder/digital portastudio. The Reference manual says to send Bank select on ch 15 to get control over different groups of 8 mixer channels. Bank 0 = 1 to 8, Bank 1 = 9 to 16, Bank 3 = 17 to 24 etc.
The Reference manual then says, "It is therefore necessary to send a MIDI message of BE 00 xx (where xx selects the group of eight channels or inputs) before sending the Control Change messages on the appropriate MIDI channel."
I can't figure out how to do this, I am really only familiar with Bank select being values of CC 0 though I know it can involve CC 32 as well, I think the numbers 80 and 81 come into it somewhere too, but I am very hazy about all this. I assume the manual is referring to hexadecimal or Sys ex messages that I have to send first. However, I don't know how to do this, can anybody explain how to do it so that I can then get normal cc7 messages controlling hardware mixer channel levels on my hardware Tascam 2488 ? I'm using Cubase 6-5 on a Mac to send midi from. Here is the manual for the Tascam 2488
http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/353/2488_MIDI_Reference_Manual.pdf Thankyou. Best wishes Nick.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can assist you with your question. You are correct that the notation to which they are referring is the hexadecimal equivalent of the decimal numbers. Here is a summary of what those MIDI commands are – this is standard General MIDI. Actually MIDI II but the same is what you are using.http://bitli.es/TeNVOxLet me know if that help service of questions. Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea how your just sending me a link to a web page about midi, answers the question that I specifically asked, which was what I should actually do to get CC7 control over my Tascam 2488. If you can't tell me how to actually go about that, then the question has not been answered. Is that seriously your response to a very specific question? Obviously I could (and have) done web searches for background midi info myself. Your response, in absolutely no way addresses my specific question. Do you actually know what I should send out of Cubase to get cc7 control of individual Tascam 2488 parameters including (Bank Select setting it up first) as asked or not? Ie specifically what I need to actually do to achieve this. Just sending a link to a page of technical midi stuff that is not even relevant (I see nothing about Bank Select on that page using hexadecimal or otherwise) to my question, - is of no help whatsoever. This is completely unacceptable.
Sorry. I Honestly thought that the rest was self-evident.First, the command to select the group of channels that you want to send the control message to isBE 00 00 to select mixer channels 1 though 8 BE 00 01 to select mixer channels 9 through 16BE 00 02 to select mixer channels 17 through 24BE 00 03 to select inputs A through HThat tells it what bank you are programmingOnce you have established that, you can send any CC messages you need to. It sounds like you are familiar with sending the control channel messages. All you are doing with the BE is selecting the bank to work with.Bank 0, mixer channel 5 would be channel 5Bank 1, mixer channel 5 would be channel 13 I'm not sure if you have having problems getting Cue Base to talk to the tascam, or just sending specific control messages. If you are just trying to get them to talk to each other, take a look here. And yes, I am serious. I wouldn't spend my personal time helping you if I wasn't.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrQWAOR5t5w
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I misunderstood that you were going to pursue it further. Thankyou for getting back to me. - However I already knew that I had to send these sys ex messages that you've put above, I originally included a copy and paste quote from the manual saying to use these hexadecimal messages, in my initial question. The point of my question however was I had no idea how to do that. I still don't. So it's a matter of how to create these messages in Cubase in the first place. I'm presuming the list editor is the best place to do it, but how do I actually enter these messages? I can see nowhere to enter the letters B and E for example. That was the essence of the question, how to actually do it. Thanks again for getting back to me to peruse it further though. Best wishes, Nick
Yes, its the list-editor. Set type of "sysex" and draw an event in the right pane.. In the left pane you see the sysex event. Click the entry in the comment field
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'd done that and got the box up called Midi Sys Ex Editor and it's that I was talking about just now, when I was saying I could see nowhere to enter the letters B and E. In the Midi Sys Ex Editor there's F0 and F7, which I'm guessing signify the beginning and end points of the message. Clicking on "insert" produces 2 zeros at a time but I can't see where to put the B and E part of the message. I've got 4 zeros up between the F0 and F7 at the moment, but when I try to put B and E over the first pair of zeros they turn into 7F instead. Making the full message F0 7F 00 F7 which presumably isn't right?
Correct about the F0 and F7 - they are the beginning and end of a sysex message - with an arbitrary number of bytes in between. Those hex values go in between. So it should look like F0 BE 00 01 F7 (just one example). SysEx is fairly complex. You might want to review some existing SysEx files and import them to get a handle on it. Just be sure to pay attention to which values you are getting to put in there are hex or decimal... if they are decimal, you will convert them to hex before entering them there (there are other ways to do this - there is more than one way to edit sysex in Cubase, but I'm trying to keep it as straightforward as possible)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****'s the problem - the BE part. I can get any numbers to appear between the F0 & F7. I've got F0 00 01 F7 and F0 00 00 F7 up, for example no problem, but as soon as I try to insert the letters B & E those two spaces just flip over to saying 7F. The rest of the message stays the same, the numbers etc, it's just B & E changes to 7F and I can't see how to put them in so they stay as B & E.
Try leaving out the BE... control change 0 is actually bank select. So F0 00 01 F7 should select bank 1, for example.
Part of the problem of getting this right is that the Tascam manual seems to confuse hex and decimal at times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael. Just to say thanks for all your help, but I've managed to resolve the problem anyway now. Turned out to be nothing to do with Bank Select but just an obscure (and not very well documented) setting to switch to in the 2488 to do with determining the way in which incoming midi overrides the physical positions of the 2488s hardware faders (or not). So everything's working as desired now.
Thanks again, for your time and suggestions.
All the best, Nick.
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. If you need anything else, just let me know. I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service using the rating icons. Thank you. Mike
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience: 20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt