Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have an olympus 35mm mju II. the lense isn't extending p

Customer Question

i have an olympus 35mm mju II. the lense isn't extending properly
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This can be something inside the lens jamming it.
Can you remove the battery then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.
Then put the battery back in, turn it upside down and put it on something that vibrates like an electric razor.
Then turn it on and off a free times and with the vibrations it will loosen anything that could be causing the jam, allowing the lens to extend.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I have tried that and it hasn't made a difference. Remember that the lens does extend after I have pressed the shutter button but does not immediately retract until I fiddle the cover back and forth and only then after the lens has retracted is the photo taken and the film wound on.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I saw that and its usually indicative of the gearing getting jammed so I wanted to rule this out which we did.
This confirms the issue as the internal drive motor that has faulted.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. If the warranty has expired then I would advise against having this repaired as the cost would exceed the value of a new replacement camera of similar specifications.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen suggesting the telephone call request came up before I noticed the resposnse. So having read the response I do not need a phone call. Thank you for your diagnosis. Am I going to be chaged for this?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I just called but no one picked up. You are charged for my service as its a paid service, I can explain my answer if you wish via a phone call?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope I will not be charged for the phone call as the I did not need it. I only requested it because I could not see your written answer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you were charged for the phone call because you requested it so I called you...
If you did not mean to request it, please email customer service on***@******.*** to have the phone call refunded.