Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a panasonic tv tx-p42g10b connected to a recorder dmr-ex79

I have a panasonic tv tx-p42g10b connected to a recorder dmr-ex79 which has worked perfectly for years. Suddenly, when operating the recorder to record or play back i get a screen with ec/av1-rgb in the top left corner and continuous moving oblique distortion.
Any thoughts??
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, please remove the power to both the recorder and the TV for 10 minutes (so unplug the power from the power socket).
Then on each device hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.
Then after the 10 minutes is up, connect the power, turn them on and tell me if it now functions correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have carried out the procedures as described but the problem remains.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Do you have Sky and a Sky remote?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not have Sky.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, we will do a reset of the TV.
To do this
Press the MENU button.
Move to Setup menu.
Access Setup menu.
Move to Shipping condition.
Access Shipping condition.
Press the OK button to start.
Press again, to confirm, each time that you are asked, “Are you sure?”.
Then set the TV up again and tell me if it now functions correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have carried out these procedures, switched to tv back on and it has gone through autoset up - but still the problem remains.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, press the TV/AV button on the remote and switch inputs.
Does it then clear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please clarify - the remote has a tv button and an AV button joined by the word "input", what should I be doing?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, thats the button to use, the AV button with input.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Av1 selection continues to show the distorted imagery, the other selections dont show anything (except TV which returns to the TV reception)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, on the recorder, can you open the flap at the front then hold the channel up and down buttons for 6 seconds then release.
Then setup the recorder when asked and tell me if this allows the TV to work correctly please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The channel up and down buttons - is this on the TV remote or the Recorder remote?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
On the actual recorder itself, you lift up the flap on the front of it to see the buttons.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pressed these buttons and it has brought up the original distorted screen with EC/AV1-RGB in the top left corner and nothing else has happened.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, disconnect the recorder from the TV, you still get the distorted screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I disconnect the recorder from the TV, I get the normal TV programme.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
And the message dissapears correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ther hasn't been a message of any sort. There has not been a message about setting up the recorder.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if the error disapers when disconnecting the recorder, then it is the recorder that has faulted, we have now confirmed this.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the recorder to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for determining that the recorder is at fault. Are there no more tests that can be done to identify the fault?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, as they run a hardware diagnostics with specialised equipment to do this, you just need to return it.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks