Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Sony Bravia KDL32L4000 TV, made 7/08. After a programme

Customer Question

I have a Sony Bravia KDL32L4000 TV, made 7/08. After a programme change it will turn itself off and then back on in about 30 seconds. Any ideas?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When it turns on again, does it stay on? Or it turns off again?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turns on and stays on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).
Then on the TV itself, hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.
Then let the TV sit for 10 minutes, connect the power, turn it on and tell me if you then have the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You do mean hold down the power button with the TV power off?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, as this discharges the power from it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have done it and certainly have been unable to provoke the TV into turning itself off. As it is not a completely consistent problem and may only happen when the TV has been on for a while, tonight will tell!!
What exactly have you got me to do by performing these actions and is that sort of treatment applicable to any other problems (not that there are any at present)?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it removes all residue power, good trick for ANY electrical device mis behaving.
It drains all the capacitors.
I have though marked this question to never close, so if the issue occurs again, just let me know here, there is no time limit on this.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service before leaving by clicking one of the stars or smiley faces then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. If that is an end to the problem then you will have removed an irritation. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thought we'd cured it, but it did it again last night. Does not happen every time one changes channel by any means- just enough to be annoying.
Martin
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it looks to be the power board faulting Martin.
Is it still under warranty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, Get a price to get the powerboard replaced as this will be the most common cause, and you need to judge the price. If its about 1/4 of a new TV, you can do it else I would advise to purchase a replacement TV, as the end cost of repair would exceed the value of a replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Will try you first trick again and if that fails will review my position. Is it a worsening problem (assuming it's the power board)?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes usually it will degrade to the point the TV does not start, not always but usually