Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have set up my Apple TV to view photos from my Photos albums

Customer Question

I have set up my Apple TV to view photos from my Photos albums on iMac OSX 10.11.1 El Capitan. It works fine for about 10 mts. and then tells me "You are not connected to a Network", which is crazy,as I was a few seconds earlier. I go back upstairs to my Mac and try to re-set everything, which is usually difficult, as I find my network has switched off on the computer as well. I eventually manage to re-set everything, but it is not satisfactory, and I am not technically minded enough to sort the problem myself.
Can you advise me, or if not, what is the easiest way to get a hom visit?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To confirm, your saying the Mac has no network connection at all when the connection fails?
Meaning when it stops working and you get the message "You are not connected to a Network" you at that point also cannot access the internet on the Mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A bit difficult to say for certain, as I have had a good many interruptions in my broadband connection (bt.internet) of late, but to my recollection I did have to re-establish internet connection by pressing the re-start button on my hub, the last time this happened with the Apple TV . Cause and effect?- I'm not sure.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
sounds like it may be the hub at fault.
On the back of the hub is a reset button.
You may need to use a Paperclip and hold the reset button in for 10 seconds, then release.
Wait 5 minutes, run a test and tell me if you still have the issue please.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I saw your request for a phone call but I work online here, if you wish I can connect to your Mac and check it?
Else let me know the results please.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for the delay in responding - I had just lost my broadband contact yet again, but have now re-established it. Could you please re-send the e-mail on which I can put in the temporary password ***** for you to access my computer?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
one moment, did the broadband just stop working all of a sudden?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It is back now. I'm currently trying to get back to the page where I can put in that temporary password, but I keep brigig up a blank page.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but the internet, it just disconnected itself? you did nothing, you just lost internet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. Internet suddenly just wasn't there. I had to o back through Preferences to re-set it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, sounds like the hub is the issue.
Do you see the reset button on the back of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - I have re-set more than once this morning! Can I suspend our discussion until later today? I have run out of time this morning. If you have one more suggestion to make - fine. Otherwise I will have to re-contact you in about 5 hours' time - quoting the reference number you have given.
R.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, thats no problem but I want you to not press it but hold that reset button in for 10 seconds, then release. you should then lose internet for about 5 minutes, then see if it disconnects.
We can do this when you return.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - I will try this, but (following heated discussion with my wife!) I shall have to resume our correspondence tomorrow morning, rather than this afternoon. OK?R.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no problem, and you both be cool there :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To resume our conversation from yesterday; I have tried to set up Apple TV this morning, but TV screen is currently showing "You are not connected to a network". In course of setting up, I noted that -
In Photos/General/Preferences the button for "Use as system library" is greyed out and nothing happens when I press on it. (This has always been the case, even when Apple TV (briefly) worked for me.
Wi-fi display preferences (top right) my network BT home hub 6M95 has a padlock on it- if I open "Network Preferences" it shows "Network connected"
The TV set symbol shows "Airplay off".
I have selected "choose photos to share" in iTunes/file.
Speaking generally, I know several people who use BTinternet and have had frequent interruptions in broadband. Not too much of a problem when you are just emailing or roaming the net, but hopeless if you ate trying to use Apple TV.
Having said that, as far as I can tell, the interruption on Apple TV has not been reflected in the broadband dropping out - at least, by the time I have got upstairs to my Mac, all three blue lights have been on the router, as normal.
As you have suggested, I have twice re-set the router, holding down the re-set button for 10 seconds. It comes in OK.
So - ?BTinternet Broadband problems? Router defective? Something not going right when I am setting up Apple TV? Over to you!
You wanted me to give you access to my Mac I have lost track of the message where I was to insert a temporary password. Can we go through that bit again?
RIchard Butterworth.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, what I want you to do is the following first please.
Power off the mac
Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.
Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window
choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Slight problem. I have followed your instructions through, selecting Desk Utility, clicking the first aid tab (clicking 'done' when it has run), clicked on Mackintosh HD on the left, and when it comes up, I seem to have 5 options along the top - first aid, partition, erase, unmount and info - but none that says 'repair'. Is it 'first aid ' again?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, then for you please click on First Aid again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed your instructions and did 'first aid' on Mackintosh HD. Things remained exactly as described in my first message this morning.Then went through set-up procedure for Apple TV again - no change. Still off the network. I'll wait for your next instruction! I know I could probably revive the connection wit Apple TV by going through "Systems" on the Apple TV, which entails re-keying the 10-dget code for my hub, but obviouslt I wouldn't want to have to keep doing that, and I'm sure it shouldn't be necesary.
R.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No its not necessary to do, something is wrong.
Can you go to the wifi and click on your wifi network and click on the - to remove it
Restart the Mac and then connect to the wifi network and tell me if the connection remains please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done as you said. The network 6M95 shows up as before - still with a padlock against it. Mail and web search are fine.
R
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, how is it now performing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apple TV now gave me an opportunity to re-connect to a network, which I did. Reply - "there is a problem with re-connecting to your network" and I am presented with the screen to reinsert my 10-digit code. Should I do that anyway? - I guess I'll get my Apple TV back, though I'm not sure it will have dealt with the fundamental problem of it falling out quite soon.
R
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please as this is expected as we are redoing the wifi profile in the even this was the issue, so we need to know if you still have the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still a problem. After inserting the networkc ode on Appple TV I was prompted to select Home Sharing in iTunes, which I did (again). At this point I also clicked on the TV symbol (top right) and was able to select Apple TV, but on returning downstairs to Apple TV I was once agin advised "you are not connected to a network" Also, at the TV symbol on the Mac, I could no
longer select Apple TV - only "Open Displays Preferences". Round in circles!
r.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I want you to factory reset your Apple TV please
To do this, follow the steps on the link below
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202118
Once done, tell me if it still has the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to do as you say, re-set Apple TV, and have found myself in a hopeless muddle over passwords. I am trying to sort this out and will come back to you in due course.
Meantime, can you tell me if Apple ID and Apple ID Password ***** the same thing, and whether the password ***** set up in iMusic
when first trying to use the Apple TV will still be valid, if I reset the Apple TV? I am lost!
R.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok the ID is the email address you used and the Password ***** ***** password ***** set, these will be different.
It is likley what you use in iMusic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have re-set the Apple TV which now appears to be working, but I am getting "no content in this library", which seems to suggest I have lost my access through iTunes. I got a message on iTunes that my "contract hd expired", or words to hat effect, and suspect that this because, while trying to reset the Apple TV I changed my Apple password. I don't know how to introduce this password ***** iTunes to get it going again. Sorry to be such a pain (I am 77years old and new to modern computer systems!), but could you advise me what to do next?
R.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
its ok!
Open iTunes.
Click Sign In, and then enter your Apple ID and password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I duly signed into iTunes, re-entering my user ID and newly chosen Apple password ***** The face logo top right gave the choice of signing out, so presumably I'm signed in? from iTunes /file, I selected Homesharing, and chose pics from Photos library to share, pressed 'Apply' (this button does not light up blue, or appear to do anything when pressed, is this normal?). Went back to Apple TV, but still 'No content in this library".
R. P.S. I will try to implement your next bit of advice, but after that will have to call it a day until tomorrow. Sorry to be such a slow customer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
its ok! we go at your pace, no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard,
I have an hour just now to continue our dialogue. Have to go out later but will be in this afternoon. Apple TV status is as before.
R.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry its not clear, is the disconnection still occurring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. re-established Apple TV with Photos. It went for about 10 mts., then dropped out, as before.. Meantime, I have been in touch with BT about a recurring email, which as I suspected was fraudulent. The guy checked myBroadband connection and informed me that as from 12.12.15, fibre-optic Broadband will be available in our area - 3 times as fast. So I have signed up for this, and am awaiting a new hub, to be delivered on 11 Dec. Would it be a good idea to suspend our dialogue until this has been installed, and see how things are after that?
R.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, as I do suspect an issue with the Hub. We wait till then and then we see what then happens.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a query you may be able to answer while I am waiting for the new hub. Every time I switch on, I a reminded that I am not connected to iCloud. On going into iCloud Preferences, I entered my Apple ID, only to have it rejected, even though I knew I had entered it correctly. To get around the problem, I changed my Apple ID. This was acknowledged by eMaiI from Apple. I was then able to progress to the point where I had a choice of larger capacity (my photo library being too large for the cheapest free option. I tried to choose, was again asked to put in my Apple ID, and it would not take the entry - the note above the box stating "AppleID error". So I am stuck. Any suggestions? R.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My new hub, supplied with the BT Infinity broadband - just introduced into our area last week - by a happy coincidence, seems to have pretty well resolved my problems. The Apple TV now works without dropping out of the network - though you have to wait or it to catch up sometimes. I'm connected with iCloud, which was proving a problem before. So it seems you were right about the hub being the problem. The rest of it, for me, is I think just familiarisation with systems that are new to me. So thanks for your help - I think I'm OK for now, but will certainly use your site again if I find any further trouble.
Richard Butterworth.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect Richard!
Thanks for the feedback, I was sure it was the Hub.
All the best