Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Have just connected via hdmi cable smart tv to laptop. Only

have just connected via hdmi cable smart tv to laptop. Only fo;ders appearing are media ie pictures music and video. I really only want to view my document foldrs and files. is this a setting problem
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To confirm, your trying to display the image from your Laptop onto your TV? Is this what your trying to do?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi I thought I made it clear on my previous message. I can view media folders and content only. My document folders do not appear at startup on tv screen and therefore I cannot access them. thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, sorry but it was not clear and still is not.
You are only saying "I can view media folders and content only. My document folders do not appear at startup on tv screen and therefore I cannot access them"
your not explaining exactly how your trying to display which is why I am asking
So that your TV acts as a monitor to your Laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Richard that's correct. basically I want my tv to act as a an external monitor. but I really only wish to view my text documents. I am sorry if I am confusing you. its an age thing jim
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok Jim, I just have to be strict sometimes in order to understand the problem and ensure I fix your problem.
Basically you need to duplicate the monitor of the Laptop to the TV, so what you see on the Laptop you see on the TV.
Can you tell me which version of windows (or Mac) you have on the Laptop please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
with the HDMI cable connected from Laptop to TV, make sure the TV is on the input channel of the HDMI plug the Laptop is connected to.
Then on the Laptop, right click on the desktop (on a blank space, and choose Screen Resolution).
Then under Multiple Displays, choose Duplicate.
If you see nothing on the TV, it means your on the wrong input, then switch inputs on the TV until you see the screen of the monitor.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard I have messed about with the cables as the resolution was preset at duplicate. it is now working fine but please don't ask me how. thanks for help and advise. I will now make my meal Jim ps £20 well spent
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect Jim!
Enjoy your meal and if you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And please remember to do the service rating via one of the smiley faces then submit.