Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

We have a Sony Wega LCD Colour TV, model KLV-17HR3, bought

Customer Question

We have a Sony Wega LCD Colour TV, model KLV-17HR3, bought in 2001. It is in a bedroom and is used very infrequently.
I have just turned it on after several months of no use, and cannot get any sound. The muted symbol displays on screen, but the set will not respond to the command via the mute button to revert to sound. There is a very faint but audible 'blip' from the TV when the mute button is pressed, but nothing more.
I have replaced the batteries in the remote control, and all other features will respond to commands from it.
Would be grateful for your advice. Many thanks, Nick
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Nick and welcomeCan you remove the power to the TV by unplugging it from the power socket.Then hold the power button in on the actual TV for 60 seconds then release.Once done, wait 10 minutes, then connect the power and turn it on and tell me please if it will then unmute.Let me know the results please.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
Thanks for your message. I tried what you suggested several times without success, but then, unexpectedly, the sound returned. Only trouble then was that I had no picture. I tracked that down to a dislodged scart lead and the picture returned but the mute symbol returned and there was no sound.
The TV normally plays via a scart lead to a Humax Freeview and record box. I have separated the TV from the Humax so as to test it alone, but using the same aerial wall-socket and lead. With it in stand-alone mode I can get neither picture nor sound.
Last of all I have brought the TV downstairs and plugged it into a different aerial wall socket and went through your suggested procedure. No sound and no picture. Mute symbol will not alter. I then tried to re-programme the channels but none could be found. I am now at a loss - don't know if you can suggest anything further.
All the best for the New Year, Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
Wondered if you received my supplementary question.
Best wishes, Nick
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nick,
Just to clarify, no matter which source you use (eg: Humax box, DVD) you get no sound correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and now no picture either.
Nick
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted. This confirms it
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard.
The television is fifteens years old, albeit used very little, and it will undoubtedly be more cost-effective to replace it rather than pursue repair. Your help has enabled me to reach that decision without incurring disproportionate cost.
With, again, my thanks, ***** ***** every good wish for the coming year, Nick
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I agree with that decision Nick.
Thank you and you too all the best in what 2016 has installed.