Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Toshiba DVD/VCR combo ( model DVR20KB ) that has not

I have a Toshiba DVD/VCR combo ( model DVR20KB ) that has not been used to play video tapes on until today. However I find that when started they only run for about 7 seconds then the machine shuts down completely. It then needs switching back on, which then ejects the tape; on reinserting and pressing "play", again it runs for a few seconds then shuts off.
Any ideas as to what the problem is?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This can be a number of causes so we are going to go through and rule out the common causes for this.
First, can you unplug it from the power socket so it has no power, then let it sit for 10 minutes, then connect the power.
Turn it on and tell me how it now functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have tried this, but problem still persists, machine shuts down after a few seconds.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is the internal powerboard that has faulted in the unit.
Residue power can cause this but we have now ruled this out
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have the power board replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.