Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I had to perform a factory reset on a Galaxy S3 yesterday because

Customer Question

I had to perform a factory reset on a Galaxy S3 yesterday because of malware. Since then I have not been able to join a mobile network. I have checked all the settings on my phone with my network provider, but it still will not connect. Nor can I get GPS
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please the error you get when it fails to connect to the mobile network?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay, phone was without battery
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, Can you tell me please the error you get when it fails to connect to the mobile network?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No service
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you remove the Sim card from your phone and rub it on your sleeve or some cloth, then put it back in the phone, start the phone, unlock it and tell me if it now connects please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have no service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wi fi works though
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to make calls on the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it comes up with message "Not registered on network"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did receive a call today and this morning, about 10 hours ago, I was momentarily able to make 2 calls. Nothing since
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, for calls, nothing needs to be set, its all automatic.
Its either the Sim card or the sim port on the phone that has failed.
just to check, when you did the factory reset, it removed all data and returned the phone to new? So you had to set it up again like when you first received it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do you have another phone there with another sim card?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just trying sim in a different phone and it has let me make calls
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GPS not functioning though
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you put the sim from the other phone into this one, does it function?
GPS we get to after solving this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still appears to be no registered network!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Guess the sim port is not working then. Is there a fix for that?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** hardware issue and initially it pointed to the sim port, but as the GPS is also not working, it confirms the problem as the mainboard in the phone as the GPS module is also not working.
I also doubt if you had malware and believe this was part of the initial issues you had that required you to reset the phone.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the phone to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! A good excuse to get a new phone as they don't make this one anymore lol
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No they don't and I advise the S6 Edge, if anything because it has excellent battery sustainability, easily lasting the whole day. Plus its fast and the screen is very crisp and clear.
If you need anything else, please let me know and please remember the service rating.