Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Brother P Touch 2450DX Label Printer I have owned

Hi I have a Brother P Touch 2450DX Label Printer I have owned it for a couple of years and it has hardly been used.
I tried to use it yesterday and the machine will not switch on fully with new batteries or the mains charger lead.
The display is very faint and only viewable from a 'low angle' but no characters can be entered and it shows no other response.
Is there a UK service centre and is the machine worth fixing?
Jeff
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question Jeff, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me if the unit is older or within 2 years or its purchase date?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,
It is older than 2 years but not by much, and is hardly used. I store it in its case in my living room sideboard, so no bad atmospheres etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is absolutely no sign of battery corrosion - all terminal are clean and as new.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I ask Jeff is the warranty is 2 years, and even though it was hardly used it has expired.
From what you describe, as you ruled out the firmware as the issue, or any disruption to the power supply, it is either the LCD screen or a capacitor on the mainboard is failing. To fix this they replace the mainboard in the unit, which is most of the value of it, and then you only receive a limited warranty.
The cost to do this exceeds the value of a replacement unit which is why they do not offer to fix this, unless it is under warranty (and then its sent off and the mainboard is replaced). They are generally very good and having them stored at room temperature poses no issue, you just has a faulty unit which if used regularly, you would have seen early on and had it replaced under warranty (the retailer you bought it from would of handled this).
But as it has expired, you will need to purchase a replacement sorry.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.