Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Roland E 86 Intelligent Synthesizer. When I switched

I have a Roland E 86 Intelligent Synthesizer. When I switched on today, part of the left hand side of the keyboard does not work properly. There is strange low volume noises and the drums arranger did not work properly. What could be Wrong?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you remove the power to the keyboard and let it sit for 10 minutes to drain all residue power from it which can cause electronic issues.
Then connect the power, turn it on and tell me if it now functions correctly please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has had the power off for more than 10 mins. and I have now switched on again. The problem remains!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** confirms the problem
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted. There will be a number of capacitors (as it effects part of the keyboard and the drums) that has bulged or blown, causing the circuit for these components to fail.
It can be residue power but this has been ruled out. If it has been colder then normal for the unit, this can cause the issue when the capacitors are on there way out.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.