Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

The lens ring on my Olympus TG-4 camera falls off easily. Is

The lens ring on my Olympus TG-4 camera falls off easily. Is it supposed to be in two parts, the bayonet plastic part and the knurled surface part or have these parts become unglued?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Is it ok if you send me a photo of this please so I am sure what you are seeing.
Once you have the photo, provide it to me via the instructions below
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****,
Here are the photo ID Numbers: 927964, 841598, 555504. These show the ring with both parts, the separate parts and the camera as seen in a mirror (oops with dust). The photos were all taken with the camera which is very new and is very good otherwise. I am still thinking that the two parts have come unglued and suspect I just need three spots of epoxy to fix the problem. This should be more waterproof than "superglue".
Thank you for your help in advance.
Peter
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and yes they have seperated, but as the camera is new Peter, I would take it back and have them replace the ring.
Whilst the epoxy is a good fix, that would void the warranty and you would want to avoid doing this. The warranty is valid and this is covered so I would advise you to take that route.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****,Sorry about the delay in replying. Thank you for your advice which is sensible. However the camera was a gift so getting the receipt is rather difficult. Also the part is largely decorative and was broken rather than failed so may not be covered by warranty so I have decided to fix it myself. I found a product by Evo-Stik called Serious Glue which is good from -30C to +130C, is waterproof and has quite a low viscosity. Three small drops have fixed the two parts together very firmly so I can recommend the glue. It seems from the web searches I did and reviews I read that this ring is prone to falling off and a drop of Loctite 222 seems to make it rather stiffer to undo the lightweight plastic bayonet attachment.
I will rate your reply so you will receive your due payment.
Best wishes,
Peter