nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

How do I determine the positive and negative on my speaker

Customer Question

How do I determine the positive and negative on my speaker cables? One strand says made in uk other has a chevron type mark, the other cable has no writing but 2 similar marks as before. Speakers date from the 1990s I think.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to just answer.Please elaborate your problem. Generally Speaker lines have no polarity. i.e. there is no plosive or negative connections to a speaker. You can connect speaker wires either way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to connect the speakers to a Denon cd amplifier set up which has neg and pos as well as right and left
Generally Amplifiers and other Audio systems are marked positive and negative at their output terminals but speakers do not have polarities. So one can connect them either way. These polarities at the amplifiers are for other purposes, i.e. When you want to feed output to other devices / instruments then you have to connect the correct polarities. Speakers have no polarity, hence you can connect it either way. Reply if you have any other query.Please rate the chat POSITIVELY so that I can get credited for my answer. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still confused because my son who set up the original system said it was important to connect the positive and negative leads correctly and two books I consulted also stated this. So whilst I thank you for your answer I don't feel I can act upon it and will probably have to wait until my son visits to sort it out.
If you have red and black colored wires then the positive terminal is usually red and the negative is typically black.