Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ60. I am very amateur and use

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ60. I am very amateur and use iA usually. I want to take some good photos soon of a gathering of people inside a lit room at night. And also to take nighttime views of a lit cityscape. Could you help direct me?
Also, if I have the flash on automatic, does the iA figure out whether it needs to flash or not?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.
With the flash, you are generally better having it off unless you think you will really need it. A picture without a flash is almost always better than one with (if you can get it)... there are exceptions. With digital SLRcameras, there are different ways the flash can be used in terms of timing with relation to the shutter. For the lit cityscape, you definitely will want the flash off. When the subject is far away, like a cityscape, or even greater than several meters, the flash will not reflect off the subject, so it won't affect the amount of light reaching the camera, but the camera will think that it is.I should say, however, that iA on this camera is extremely competent... so it will probably handle both of those situations just fine. Both of them can be tricky for some cameras because of the subject matter, but this is a very intelligent camera. For the cityscape, I would make sure the flash is off. It will save you from it trying to use it by mistake. For the people in the room, I would let it decide what to do with the flash. It should determine the most appropriate use for it in that situation.Mike